Wednesday, February 01, 2006

No Silver Lining

I've noticed this trend on the right to try and rationalize the election of Hamas as the majority government in Palestine as being a possible good thing. This concerns me. I don't know if it's a sincere belief, or just a lame attempt to put a smiley face on bad news.

There's no bright side here. There just isn't. There's nothing good about it. I don't buy the rationalizations. Not at all.

As an aside, what evidence do we have that this truly was a free and fair election? I know (former) President Peanut says so, but other than that, how do we really know?

To those that would say, gleefully, "So much for democracy bringing peace to the Middle East. Huh?" First of all, why are you so happy about a terrorist group running a country? Second, I do not view any "state" that elects a terrorist organization to run the government as a legitimate state. That alone discredits the whole process.

To my fellow conservatives, there's no silver lining to this election (or "election" as the case may be). Please stop being naive and/or stupid. I'm not saying it's all doom and gloom with no way out, but I am saying there's no upside to the whole thing.

You may now attempt to persuade me that I'm not always right.

Linked on Mudville Gazette

X-Posted at Pyjamas Media

, ,